We have all had curveballs in life. Something that comes flying at us one way, and we end up looking ridiculous when we strike out swinging for the fences. Dealing with the curveballs of life is never easy.
I was one of those people who definitely had a vision for how it was all going to go once I crossed that stage in college. I’ve talked about it before here on my blog, things didn’t go anywhere near the way I thought they would. I struck out more than once swinging for the fences hoping for that home run.
And that my friends, is totally okay. I used to be embarrassed by it, thinking I had failed or messed up, but the reality of the situation is that I am just like most other people out there whose plans get messed up just simply by living.
Of course, this beautiful insight wasn’t made clear to me in some kind of crystalizing moment. Nope, it didn’t wake up one day and suddenly get why all my ideas for my life were being changed. It happened slowly, one day at a time learning how to take each thing in stride. Because that’s the secret to dealing with the curveballs of life, knowing that no matter how bad, you are never going to be thrown something you can’t handle.
Don’t get me wrong, I am still facing situations that make me feel like crap like I can’t do things right or I am messing up in some way. It’s not all sunshine, rainbows, and a pretty Instagram grid. There has been crying, like huge not pretty puffy face crying, anger, jealousy, and defeat, there still are those feelings, but hey, I’m a badass I got this, and guess what? So are you.
But in case you need a reminder that you aren’t alone or dealing with the curveballs of life without assistance, these are ten things that might just help.
- Time Never Stops Moving. No matter how bad or helpless the situation might seem, nothing in life is permanent because time never stops moving. This too shall pass, and that is a very true statement.
- One Foot In Front Of Another. Keep moving. That doesn’t mean you aren’t allowed to have bad days or rough days, but you have to put one foot in front of the other and keep moving. Because standing still just means life is going to run you over.
- Take A Deep Breath. Before you lash out or get angry, leap for joy, overreact, or let the sadness overwhelm, stop and take a deep breath. It’s amazing what ten seconds of just taking one big deep breath can do to clear your head. It’s not always going to be easy but that is life.
- Find The Joy In The Unexpected. Whether its a job offer you weren’t expecting, an opportunity you didn’t know you wanted, or some other unexpected adventure dealing with the curveballs of life sometimes means understanding that what ends up being the right thing for you might not look anything like what you expected it to.
- Its Okay To Be Frustrated. Scream, cry, take a second to feel all of it. But then pick yourself up and realize that this is just one chapter and that if you want to change your situation it’s up to you to find out how that’s going to work.
- Keep An Open Mind. Sometimes it can be easy to feel like these curveballs are bad, but keep an open mind. That job you accepted but wasn’t your dream job just might turn out to be the right fit for you and that unexpected left turn down a path you thought you didn’t want, might just turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to you.
- Laugh, And Be Kind. Sometimes you just have to laugh and find the silver lining. Keep finding joys in the other areas of your life and dealing with those curveballs might not seem to bad. Life isn’t perfect but we all have blessings to be thankful for.
- It’s A New Start. Every curveball is a chance to explore a new opportunity to have a fresh start. Looking at it as something exciting, a challenge to be conquered instead of a situation to simple be survived is one of the best ways to turn that curveball into a great new experience.
- Life Is Meant To Challenge You. If it were all sunshine and rainbows all the time life would be pretty boring and you would never have the chance to grow into the person you want to be. It will challenge you, push your buttons and for you to grow in ways you never expected but that’s part of the ride.
- It Will All Make Sense Eventually. Hindsight is 20/20. A year from now, 5 years from now, dealing with all the curveballs of life will make sense and you will be so grateful you had to go through all of it because without it you wouldn’t up where you are.
Moral of the story is that life is hard. It will beat us up, and also have moments of unparalleled brilliance. All of it unexpected, twisted and in many ways surprising. Dealing with the curveballs of life is just part of the adventure.
I hope all are having a great week so far!