Something a lot of you might not know about me is that I love makeup. I don’t tend to wear a lot of it on a daily basis but I love playing with it, trying out new things and getting glammed up for a night out. I am always adding to my collection and scouring the drugstore for new products. However, my love affair with makeup stretches beyond my love of the artistic talent that it can take to create stunning looks. I wear it because without people are constantly mistaking me for a 12-year-old who needs a kid menus at restaurants instead of a glass of wine.
But beyond it being something I use to make myself look my actual 22 years old, I am just obsessed with playing with it. Like seriously, I’m a kid in a candy store when it comes to playing around with different makeup looks when I’m bored. I’m much more of a drugstore makeup type of person, though I do have a few high-end favs in my collection that I can’t live without. And Today I want to share with you guys a couple of my favorite makeup items and tricks that help this little girl look her age and feel beautiful.
- Primer. Don’t forget to prime your face, its something I didn’t start doing until recently and now I understand why it’s so important. I want to look older in my makeup not old. Without primer, your foundation is just going to sink into every little line and pore on your face and really make you look far older than you are trying to make yourself look. My favs right now are the ELF Poreless primer and Smashbox Photo Finish.
- Foundation. I am not really a full coverage kind of girl, I prefer something a little lighter most of the time unless I am going full glam for a night out. But even a light layer of foundation does wonders for making me look a little bit more mature and grown up. My favorite everyday foundations are either the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Tint or Wet N’ Wilds Photo Focus. If I am going full coverage my holy grail is the Milani 2 in1 Concealer and Foundation. (P.S Milani, please bring this out in a few more light shades, please! Lightest one is still a tad too dark and yellow for me if I’m not at my tannest.”
- Concealer. Now I get that us out there who are a lot more on the petite side of life want to try and look a little older sometimes but dark circles they ain’t cute on anybody. Keeping those under wraps actually, helps you hit that middle ground of looking your age but not looking like the crypt keeper. My holy grail concealer is the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer, it is seriously the bomb!
- Powder. Set your face! If you want your makeup to last all day long, and look flawless set your face with powder before finishing it with bronzer or blush or anything. For me this keeps it looking nice and smooth like a mid 20’s girls face, however when I make the mistake of not setting it, well things get a little out of control and its gets creasy and greasy and I look like old women by the end of the day. I like to laugh and I like to eat so as my face moves it’s important that the makeup stay where I put it and not settle into all those little cracks and crevices.
- Bronzer/Contour. This is a huge one for me when it comes to looking more my age. On top of being more on the petite side I also have a pretty round face, so being able to give my self some cheekbones and a more structure really helps me look and feel a little bit older. My favorite contour as of late has been the Inspired By You, Highlight and Contour Pallet, the shades are just the perfect ashy brown for carving out my cheeks. And my bronzers are either the Bake Bronzer from Milani or Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer.
- Blush. More of a personal preference thing but I think it really ties a whole look together and makes you look much more put together when everything in your look is coordinated together. The Milani Luminoso blush is a favorite across the board for so many people cause you can make it go with just about any look.
- Eye Brows. How did I ever go 18 years without eyebrows? And why did no one tell me that even with blonde hair you still need to draw on your brows so they aren’t invisible? See the photo to the right for the evidence that I rocked that natural browless look for 18 plus years! But eventually, I discovered brow products and died my hair darker so I needed it and thank god! It’s amazing how giving yourself eyebrows instantly makes you look older and more put together. I think I look like a child without them and when I put them on every day I’m like oh hello 22-year-old self! It took me awhile to learn how to do my eyebrows in a way I liked and I do them a little backward but that’s alright. My go to products are the Brow Gal Convertable Brow by Tonya Crooks and the L’Oreal Brow Stylist Plumper.
- Eyeshadows. Now, one thing I have made a personal discovery with is that I don’t like a huge amount of bold shadow colors on me. I think that it’s just a little overwhelming for my face and even when they are blended really well, they just look a little off and I have actually noticed they age me down a little bit. I’m 22 not 10 playing in moms makeup drawer. But my fav palette that has just enough color in it and is still very wearable is the Morphe 35O pallet, cause I am obsessed with warm tones. I also really love the Real Her Shadow Pallete in Do Your Squats. Such a pretty fall warm, purple palette that again has enough fun color to feel seasonal but still very wearable for every day.
- Lips. There has been this huge trend lately as I’m sure you’ve noticed of liquid lipsticks. And they look so flawless on like every other person I see them on, but on me, I just can’t get them to look right and oh girl believe me I have tried. They never look as clean and perfect as I would like and my lips always get so dry and crumbly that I end up looking like a zombie from walking dead. I have few in light nudes that are really stunning that I love but I am more of a lipstick or lippies stick fan. My favs for liquid lipsticks are the NYX Lip Lingerie ones, I think they are so flawless. I have a whole collection of lippies sticks I rotate through including ElF, Colorpop, and Lorac that I am in love with. And my favorite plain old lipsticks are Maybelline colorsenstional and Milani’s Matte Lipsticks!
At the end of the day for me using makeup to feel and look a little more my age is really about less is more. Sometimes I want that full glam, give me lashes, bold eyeshadow, lipstick contour to the gods look but most days I just want to be able to walk into a restaurant and not have them offer me a kids menu which really only takes a little bit of makeup applied carefully to my face so I am not quite as baby-faced and young looking.
Do any of you have this problem? Do you like makeup for the art or is it just something that has become part of your routine. Are you like me and do you use it age yourself up cause you are rocking that baby face 24/7? Let me know in the comments! As always thank you so much for reading and I hope you have an amazing week!