Hey, everyone! I’ve been wanting to write this post for a very long time. I am finally getting to share with you guys some of my favorite and in my opinion the best breweries in San Diego!
It’s a city that loves its beer, and as such is overflowing with enough craft breweries to make the heart sing while the taste buds tingle. Well, I’m a person who loves beer and living here it’s my mission to find some of the best breweries. I want new favorites that I can rely on for the perfect refreshment. And after trying several different breweries, beers and taking the time to consider it, I have selected a handful that I think everyone should try when visiting this beautiful city of mine.
The Best Breweries And The Best Beers
- Culture Brewing. With three locations in San Diego, this little brewery is really one of my favorites. Of course, they have a laid back vibe, and they use old barrels as bar tables. They have local artist decorating the walls and they have a good selection of beers. Everything from blonde ales and IPAs to stouts and lagers. While my personal favorite is the Black Current that is brewed with tea, they have so many greats! It’s so different and a perfect fruity refreshment for a warm day.
2. Kilowatt Brewing is probably one of the funkiest little spots in Ocean Beach. An awesome Outdoor patio complete with Jenga, a connect four, the inside is decked out with black light art and awesome music as well as a fridge where you can buy growlers of their beer. Check their website to find current tap lists for each of their two locations, as they are always changing what they carry and you’ll always be surprised. The Barrel Aged Belgian on Apples and the Strawberry Sour are two of my all-time favorites!
3. Mike Hess is a staple in the cities beer realm, and definitely one of the best in San Diego. From year-round mainstays to seasonal and limited edition loveable this brewery that has been part of the scene since about 2010 there is probably nowhere else I would rather good from some reliably delicious refreshing beers. With delicious flavors that keep me coming back time and time again, I don’t think I’ll every get tired of the awesome little tap room in Ocean Beach where you can always find a great little crowd ready for some fun and brews. Try the De Nada Belgian Wheat this upcoming summer, it won’t disappoint.
4. Modern Times twice a week gives tours of the brewery. Don’t miss it and not to mention they have 16 beers they keep on tap to try. You’ll probably want them all after seeing where the magic it happens. They carry one of my favorite IPA hybrids of all time, the Fortunate Island is the perfect mix between hoppy and the crispness of a pale ale. You won’t want to miss this one.
5. Belching Beaver. Like the name suggests this place is about as unique and quirky as you can get. Actually the Honey Wheat Ale and Peanut Butter Milk Stout are two of my favorites and I’m not usually a big fan of darker beers if you can’t tell by most of my suggestions here.
6. Resident Brewing has a unique IPA. A Coconut IPA, that’s got the perfect amount of coconut flavor that isn’t overly sweet. While I’m not a fan of Coconut but the perfect balance in this beer makes me love it. I found this at a local bar that serves a wide selection of their drinks. Slowly I’ve been falling more in love with it as we try more, the Perky Blonde is another one that I love.
7. Ballast Point I can’t create this list and not have this brewery on the list. My boyfriend would actually be surprised if it wasn’t. The Sculpin IPA is one of his favorites while I prefer the Bonita Blonde Ale, California Kolsch. While if you can find it Sea Rose Tart Cherry Wheat Ale, is delicious and different. This is the brewery of choice when picking up a 6 pack for a night of delicious food and relaxing at home! Actually, my dad loves it too!
Try some of these a let me know what your favorites are. I want to try them and discover more of the best breweries in San Diego. Not a beer person? Go check out my post on the best bars to grab a drink of your choice.
I hope you guys are all having a great week and if you’re not, go grab a beer, things will get better.